Nutrition tips about what to eat before and after a workout!
- Carbs! Eating simple carbohydrates beforehand is a good way to replenish those glycogen stores when you start your workout. Simple carbs are also digested fast and gives a quick boost of energy. Examples: a fruit, granola bar, greek yogurt, and dried fruits.
- If you are doing weight training during your workout, you should also consider eating a bit of protein before your workout. Examples: greek yogurt, nuts, milk, and a hardboiled egg.
- Try to eat a snack at least 30 minutes before your workout. You do not want to be too full when you're exercising because it may lead to discomfort.
- Stay hydrated before, during, and after your workout.
- After your workout, refuel with carbs and protein. Try complex carbohydrates like quinoa, brown rice, and whole grain bread. You can pair those up with foods rich in protein such as chicken, egg, tofu, beans, and fish. If you can't have a meal right away, make sure you have a snack at least 20 minutes after your workout. This can be a small protein shake, greek yogurt, toast with peanut butter and banana, or chocolate milk.
- Note that if you're an athlete, your protein needs may be increased!
You can talk to a dietitian for more personalized nutrition recommendations regarding protein needs. Find out more about the Nutritional Counselling programs available at Athlete's Care.